Mistakes can cost you your job, your relationship and lots of money. Social media provides a public platform that make gaffes very visible at speed.
Tweet something silly and you could become a viral campaign of the very wrong kind – the difference between ending up ‘red’ or ‘read’.
Twitter mistakes to avoid
- Don’t tweet from your work’s account, when it should have come from your personal account.
- Never tweet insensitive things eg deaths or bad things about where you work.
- Don’t tweet at 4.30am when no one else is awake
- Don’t post aggressively as it makes people feel uncomfortable
- Don’t tweet with spelling mistakes or you’ll look like a numpty
- Don’t be vague eg “This is terrible!” with no explanation – include a link to an article or picture so people can understand.
- Retweet other people’s good posts – give some to get some.
- Be catchy and catch people’s interest by being relevant, funny, newsworthy
- Tweet throughout the day. Don’t just tweet in one burst or you become irritating and people may unfollow you.